St Mary’s Bay Bungalow
This extensive, very considered rebuild of a 1927 historic bungalow is more than meets the eye, with a sympathetic addition at the rear and large extended basement with two-car garaging and a media room. The standard amenities include laundry, audio visual cupboard and guest bathroom.
The Pitch team propped up the existing house structure before digging, tanking and forming the basement structure.
The historic road-front facade is all that remains of the original building. With extremely tight access and a busy through-road to deal with, the site proved challenging.
The internal finishing is a complicated mix of classic and modern techniques. Parquet floors, bold wallpapers and a magnificent black kitchen stand out as highlights.
With all the modern conveniences now added, the owners have saved a great Kiwi icon.
Architects: Macintosh Harris
Interior designer: Janice Kumar-Ward